Cold Chain Logistics
Effective cold chain logistics are essential to keep fruit fresh, flowers from wilting, and various chemicals and pharmaceuticals safe during transit. In all modes of cold chain transport, temperature sensitive products are susceptible to a loss of quality.
The Global Cold Chain
Globally, there is a heightened interest in healthy food. Consumers are looking for higher-end products, such as Alaskan salmon, that must travel long distances and move quickly to ensure freshness and quality.
“Demand for fresh food is growing, and that requires increased innovation to overcome capacity and infrastructure constraints, and mitigate disruption risks to ensure quality delivery,” adds Tim Smith, executive vice president, sales and business development, for Lineage Logistics. Adjusting to these new demands while maintaining prices, places added pressure on every element of the supply chain.
Maintaining control of products is a major concern for many shippers.
Cold Chain Must Maintain Quality
In the food industry, there is an increased focus on quality, health, and integrity. Cold chain logistics must ensure that changes in texture and taste do not occur. When a shipment strays outside recommended temperatures, quality will deteriorate rapidly.
More premium products with a shorter shelf life and greater sensitivity to temperature, are raising the bar for temperature control and cold chain logistics. Refrigerated warehouses across the food cold chain must maintain as many as five different temperature zones.
Cold Chain Logistics with Powerblanket
Powerblanket offers innovative cold chain solutions that will meet the demands of unique temperatures during transit. With the new Powerblanket ICE industrial cold chain solutions, you can efficiently regulate temperature-sensitive material under both regular and hot conditions. Transporting food, chemicals, and other heat sensitive materials is no longer a major challenge.
Cold Chain Logistic Options
- Insulated, ensuring that your ice packs will last longer than ice alone and longer than other non-insulated options on the market
- Internal pockets place the ice directly against the surface of your container
An affordable option for cold chain logistics
- Easily portable solution
- Temperature adjusted by the number of ice packs used
The Powerblanket Ice Circulation Blanket, a more advanced cooling solution, is combined with either a cooler or chiller to achieve optimum results. The Circulation Blanket draws heat away from the contents of the container and consistently circulates cool.
Blanket with Cooler
- Surround your product in constant cool as ice cold water from the cooler is pumped through the blanket
- Maintain a minimum temperature of 32°F/0°C or lower the temperature with salt or other freeze point modifiers.
- Forty pounds of ice can maintain the temperature of the product at 55°F/13°C for nine to ten hours in 100°F/38°C ambient temperatures
- Operates on 12VDC or 120VAC power.
Blanket with Chiller
- Achieve colder and continuous results
- Maintain industrial cooling of 20°F/-7°C
- One chiller can operate with two 55-gallon drum blankets
- Ideal for process cooling and other industrial cooling applications
Technology and Cold Chain Logistics
Like all supply chains, cold chain operators must continually upgrade technology to ensure efficiency, integrity, and safety. This includes both back-end IT infrastructure and front-end devices that gather and report key data in real time.
Some shippers use removable sensors to independently track the temperature of cold cargo, usually for high-value goods and international shipments.
There is a sincere need for products that can can analyze and deliver data where and when it’s needed. Powerblanket has partnered with Beacon Controls to create a solution that is effective, reliable, and on the cutting edge of real-time smart temperature monitoring.
Smart Cold Chain Temperature Monitoring with Beacon
- Change settings locally or connect remotely through Wi-Fi or Cellular networks, so you can keep your operation running smoothly wherever you are.
- Customize scheduling and alerts based on temperature, electrical current, voltage, and resistance readings
- Enjoy peace of mind for cold chain logistics
- Compatible with a wide variety of cooling or heating devices
- Create multiple users with varying levels of access and control for added security.
- 120/208/240V AC options, switch up to 24 amps